29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Institute of Oceanology signed the contract with the Baltic Trade and Invest Ltd. Słupsk to conduct research and develop the reports on environmental impacts of offshore wind power FEW Baltic II with associated infrastructure.
29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Physical Oceanography Department invites to an international seminar with a talk by Dr. Darek Bogucki of Texas A&T University. It will take place in the Big Room of the Institute on June 29th (Thursday) at 10:00 a.m. The talk is titled "Why the drifter-derived estimates of the dissipation rate at 100 m horizontal separations match surface measurements?".
14th June 2017, Gdańsk
- Very short after midnight the vessel started her Arctic cruise - AREX 2017, which is divided into 5 stages. Coordinator Scientist of the whole expedition is Assoc. Prof. Waldemar Walczowski. The vessel is expected back at Gdańsk on September 1st. Photos
12th June 2017, 1 pm at IO PAN,Sopo
The lecture of Dr Elzbieta M.Bitner-Gregersen from DNV GL Group technology and Research (Hoevik,Norway) on Atmosphere-surface wave system and formation mechanisms of abnormal waves (in Polish)
Invitation (in Polish), Abstract (in Polish)
27th May (Saturday) 10am-4pm. Sopot, Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu
- On Saturday, 27th May 2017, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the X Sopocki Dzień Nauki (10th Sopot Science Day) took place at the Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu, as part of the XIV Bałtycki Festiwal Nauki. Photos
26th May 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
IX International Sopot Youth Conference entitled ‘Where the World is Heading’.
6th April 2017, SCIENCE
- April 2017 - The Science Magazine published news (follow the link) about the First Release of scientific article ("Greater role for Atlantic inflows on sea-ice loss in the Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean", DOI: 10.1126/science.aai8204) led by Igor V. Polyakov (IARC, UAF). Among many co-authors from around the world there is also Ilona Goszczko from Observational Oceanography Laboratory.
23th March 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
IO PAN had the occasion to host dr Elena G. Arashkevich and dr Andrei G. Zatsepin from the P.P.Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences. The event was organized by the Marine Physics Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research.
Presentations of our guests:
Arashkevich, A. Ostrovsky, V. Solovyev, A. Nikishina, O. Podymov, A. Zatsepin, Vertical distribution of mesozooplankton inferred from the net sampling and backscatter data.
A. Zatsepin, V. Baranov, S. Kuklev, A. Ostrovskii and E. Arashkevich, SIO RAS’S monitoring site in the NE Black Sea shelf-slope zone.
27th February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
- Debate "Marine Polar Research", organized by Oceanology and Polar Seas Ecology Team of the Committee on Polar Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Prof. Waldemar Walczowski - coordinator) and the Physics Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (Prof. Mirosława Ostrowska, chairman).
2nd-3rd March 2017. IO PAN, Sopot
The meeting of the Management Board of the European Research Infrastructure Euro-Argo ERIC was held at IO PAN, Sopot. It was a working meeting of the Euro-Argo members and observers. Current issues related to the functioning of infrastructure and plans for the future were discussed.
Institute of Oceanology is the Polish representative in the Euro-Argo project and implements the program Argo Poland.
More: www.euro-argo.eu/, www.iopan.gda.pl/hydrodynamics/po/Argo/argo_pl.html.
24th February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
- Lecture of Professor Magdalena Fikus: ‘I doubt, therefore I am (Reflections of the molecular biogenetics). Professor Ficus is known popularizer of science and president of the Council for Dissemination of Science, formerly working at the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics Polish Academy of Sciences, on the genetics and biotechnology.
21st February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
XIV Annual Conference of the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences – "Publishing the results of research and the organization of scientific cooperation at the Institute of Oceanology".
Conference Programme (in Polish), Papers (in Polish), Photos.
12-17th February, Wellington, New Zealand
- International Glaciological Society organised betwenn 12 and 17th of February International Cryosphere Conference that took place in Wellington, New Zealand at Victoria University. Among over 200 ice researchers from allover the world, there were two presentations by our intitute emploees, based on the GLAERE project: Katarzyna Dragańska and Jan Marcin Węslawski presented their research.
8th January 2017
- IO PAN became the member of the Polish Maritime Cluster, Gdynia. Polish Maritime Cluster (PMC) is an active cluster player in the Baltic Sea Region and the EU, as well as member of the European Network of Maritime Clusters (ENMC). PMC focuses on transferring knowledge and organizing business, science and administration cooperation on a global and regionale scale. More info: klastermorski.com.pl
January 10–12 2017, Bergen, Norway
INTAROS: Integrated Arctic Observation System is a Horizon 2020 project awarded under EU call for Blue Growth and led by the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center. INTAROS is one of four projects included in EU´s efforts for increased focus on the Arctic and is an important contribution to the implementation of EU´s Arctic Strategy during the next five years. The Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences plays an important role in the INTAROS consortium by leading activities focused on extending and improving the existing observing system in the Arctic region. INTAROS started in December 2016 and the first gathering of 110 polar scientists involved in the project took place during the kick-off meeting on January 10-12, 2017 in Bergen, Norway.
Link to the INTAROS introduction movie: https://youtu.be/4zphDKqTRNs