26th January 2018, IO PAN
- The guest of the Institute was Dr. Luca Ferrero from the University of Milan, who gave a lecture on "Vertical profiles of aerosols from mid-latitudes to the North Pole". Dr Ferrero cooperates with scientists from the Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory of the IO PAN.
18th January 2018, IO PAN, Sopot
We were invited to the presentation of dr Joan Joseph Soto Angel on "New findings on hydrozoan science: selected cases from the Antarctic and Red Sea". Dr Soto Angel is on his 6 month post-doctoral internship at the IO PAN.
More info on the lecturer and his research interest.
18 December 2017, PAN, Warsaw. Announcement – Appointment of New Director.
- The President of the Polish Academy of Sciences has appointed prof. dr hab. Jan Marcin Węsławski as the Director of the Institute of Oceanology for a period of 4 years (from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2021).
7th December 2017, PAN, Warsaw
It is with our great pleasure to announce that prof Stramski from the California Scripps Institutution of Oceanography became the Foreign Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences, according to the Academy's General Assembly decission on 7th December, 2017. Dariusz Stramski is a professor of oceanography in the Marine Physical Laboratory division at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego. His research interests are in the areas of ocean optics, optical remote sensing of the ocean, and applications of optical methods in oceanography. His scientific career has started in the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot. He received a Polish degree of habilitation in oceanography in 2002 and a title of Professor in Earth Sciences presented by the President of Poland in 2014. He has been collaborated with our Institute for years, especially with the Marine Physics Department and Physical Oceanography Department.
OUR SINCERE CONGRATULATIONS! Dariusz Stramski
December 7th, Słupsk Channel
- It is just a month from the moment when the research vessel of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, r/v Oceania deployed an oceanographic research buoy on the Słupsk Channel. Buoy is part of the EuroArgo infrastructure built by IO PAN as part of the Argo Poland program. Obtaining and equipping the buoy was possible thanks to cooperation with the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute and the University of Gdańsk. Buoy transmits oceanographic and meteorological data via satellite connectors. All data will be available on the website.
13-15 October, ARCTIC CIRCLE ASSEMBLY 2017, Reykjavik, Iceland
This year the program of the Arctic Circle Assembly 2017 included Polish Session "Poland and the Arctic", which was held on 15 October 2017. The Session organizers were: Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Ministry of Foreign Affaires, Polish Polar Consortium, Centre for Polar Studies, Committee on Polar Research, Polish Academy of Sciences Speakeres form the Institute of Oceanology included: Dr. Agnieszka Beszczyńska-Moeller, on "Monitoring of Ocean, land and Climate Changes in the Warming Arctic" and Prof. Jan Marcin Węsławski, on "Environmental Aspects of the Melting Arctic".
More info: Programme of the Polish Sessions, 2017 Assembly, photos.
9th October 2017 New Academic Year 2017/2018
- The ceremony of opening the New Academic Year was held at the Institute's Postgraduation Studies. We had the good chance to welcome new seven freshmen students and traditionally listened presentations of two students (of the third year) on their research work achievements and progress in their Ph.D. dissertation. This year, within the new program of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the project "Implementation Doctorate" (Doktorat Wdrożeniowy) for one student just began in our Studies.
29th September 2017, Władysławowo.
Promotional Conference for FindFISH Project was held in Władysławowo to present the main goal of the Project. Kowledge transfer platform FindFISH is to be the Numerical Forecasting System for the Marine Environment of Gulf of Gdansk for Fisheries to increase the profits of fishermen by commercializing the results of the research-implementation project. Project Partners: Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences as Leader, Maritime Institute in Gdańsk and Association of Fishermen’s of Sea in Władysławowo.
More info: FindFish, photos: gallery
11-13 September 2017 19th International Exhibition and Conferences BALTEXPO 2017
BALTEXPO is the biggest and the oldest event in Poland among economic events related to broadly understood maritime economy: shipbuilding industry and its related parties, ports and logistics associated to the use of the maritime and inland waterways transportation and the security of coasts, ports and navigation. This year the Institute will present our offer "OCEANIA – Floating laboratory of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences" stand no 2.24. Exibition is open within 11-13 September 2017 (10-17) Gdańsk, Poland AMBEREXPO ul.Żaglowa 11, 80-560 Gdańsk.
YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME VISIT US
More info photos
30th August 2017, 8.30 am Gdańsk.
- The Institute's reasearch vessel s/y OCEANIA returned home after her 31. Arctic expedition AREX 2017. The cruise lasted 78 days and was divided into five stages.
29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Institute of Oceanology signed the contract with the Baltic Trade and Invest Ltd. Słupsk to conduct research and develop the reports on environmental impacts of offshore wind power FEW Baltic II with associated infrastructure.
29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Physical Oceanography Department invites to an international seminar with a talk by Dr. Darek Bogucki of Texas A&T University. It will take place in the Big Room of the Institute on June 29th (Thursday) at 10:00 a.m. The talk is titled "Why the drifter-derived estimates of the dissipation rate at 100 m horizontal separations match surface measurements?".
14th June 2017, Gdańsk
- Very short after midnight the vessel started her Arctic cruise - AREX 2017, which is divided into 5 stages. Coordinator Scientist of the whole expedition is Assoc. Prof. Waldemar Walczowski. The vessel is expected back at Gdańsk on September 1st. Photos
12th June 2017, 1 pm at IO PAN,Sopo
The lecture of Dr Elzbieta M.Bitner-Gregersen from DNV GL Group technology and Research (Hoevik,Norway) on Atmosphere-surface wave system and formation mechanisms of abnormal waves (in Polish)
Invitation (in Polish), Abstract (in Polish)
27th May (Saturday) 10am-4pm. Sopot, Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu
- On Saturday, 27th May 2017, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the X Sopocki Dzień Nauki (10th Sopot Science Day) took place at the Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu, as part of the XIV Bałtycki Festiwal Nauki. Photos
26th May 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
IX International Sopot Youth Conference entitled Where the World is Heading.
6th April 2017, SCIENCE
- April 2017 - The Science Magazine published news (follow the link) about the First Release of scientific article ("Greater role for Atlantic inflows on sea-ice loss in the Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean", DOI: 10.1126/science.aai8204) led by Igor V. Polyakov (IARC, UAF). Among many co-authors from around the world there is also Ilona Goszczko from Observational Oceanography Laboratory.
23th March 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
IO PAN had the occasion to host dr Elena G. Arashkevich and dr Andrei G. Zatsepin from the P.P.Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences. The event was organized by the Marine Physics Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research.
Presentations of our guests:
Arashkevich, A. Ostrovsky, V. Solovyev, A. Nikishina, O. Podymov, A. Zatsepin, Vertical distribution of mesozooplankton inferred from the net sampling and backscatter data.
A. Zatsepin, V. Baranov, S. Kuklev, A. Ostrovskii and E. Arashkevich, SIO RAS’S monitoring site in the NE Black Sea shelf-slope zone.
27th February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
- Debate "Marine Polar Research", organized by Oceanology and Polar Seas Ecology Team of the Committee on Polar Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Prof. Waldemar Walczowski - coordinator) and the Physics Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (Prof. Mirosława Ostrowska, chairman).
2nd-3rd March 2017. IO PAN, Sopot
The meeting of the Management Board of the European Research Infrastructure Euro-Argo ERIC was held at IO PAN, Sopot. It was a working meeting of the Euro-Argo members and observers. Current issues related to the functioning of infrastructure and plans for the future were discussed.
Institute of Oceanology is the Polish representative in the Euro-Argo project and implements the program Argo Poland.
More: www.euro-argo.eu/, www.iopan.gda.pl/hydrodynamics/po/Argo/argo_pl.html.
24th February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
- Lecture of Professor Magdalena Fikus: ‘I doubt, therefore I am (Reflections of the molecular biogenetics). Professor Ficus is known popularizer of science and president of the Council for Dissemination of Science, formerly working at the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics Polish Academy of Sciences, on the genetics and biotechnology.
21st February 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
XIV Annual Conference of the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences – "Publishing the results of research and the organization of scientific cooperation at the Institute of Oceanology".
Conference Programme (in Polish), Papers (in Polish), Photos.
12-17th February, Wellington, New Zealand
- International Glaciological Society organised betwenn 12 and 17th of February International Cryosphere Conference that took place in Wellington, New Zealand at Victoria University. Among over 200 ice researchers from allover the world, there were two presentations by our intitute emploees, based on the GLAERE project: Katarzyna Dragańska and Jan Marcin Węslawski presented their research.
8th January 2017
- IO PAN became the member of the Polish Maritime Cluster, Gdynia. Polish Maritime Cluster (PMC) is an active cluster player in the Baltic Sea Region and the EU, as well as member of the European Network of Maritime Clusters (ENMC). PMC focuses on transferring knowledge and organizing business, science and administration cooperation on a global and regionale scale. More info: klastermorski.com.pl
January 10–12 2017, Bergen, Norway
INTAROS: Integrated Arctic Observation System is a Horizon 2020 project awarded under EU call for Blue Growth and led by the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center. INTAROS is one of four projects included in EU´s efforts for increased focus on the Arctic and is an important contribution to the implementation of EU´s Arctic Strategy during the next five years. The Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences plays an important role in the INTAROS consortium by leading activities focused on extending and improving the existing observing system in the Arctic region. INTAROS started in December 2016 and the first gathering of 110 polar scientists involved in the project took place during the kick-off meeting on January 10-12, 2017 in Bergen, Norway.
Link to the INTAROS introduction movie: https://youtu.be/4zphDKqTRNs